Exceptional service guaranteed or your money back.
RAPID and DYNAMIC debt recovery
Since its inception in 1986 Newman DCA has prided itself in offering a high quality consumer debt collection service. With over a decade and a half of experience Newman DCA has grown into one of the UK’s foremost consumer collection agencies. Today its specialist consumer collection teams work on behalf of many leading retail organisations and financial institutions.
what we do
Every day the company contacts in excess of 3000 new debtors and annually handle in excess of £200,000,000 of overdue and delinquent accounts.
At Newman DCA we pride ourselves in offering a flexible system for banking and accounting. We can bank cheques on a clients behalf and account to them after an agreed period of time. Alternatively we can instruct debtors to make cheques payable to our client and sent to us. Newman DCA can deduct fees or invoice clients on a weekly or monthly basis. As a client of Newman DCA you will also receive regular reports on the progress of all the accounts placed with us for collection.
Working for major companies with large consumer ledgers is both very challenging and competitive. Some of our larger clients utilise the “champion v challenger” scenario, using more than one collection agency and allocate work on a best performance basis. At Newman DCA we relish these situations and our track record shows that our collection performance is second to none. What’s more we have the stamina and resilience to keep going whilst other agencies fall by the wayside.
"I would also like to have a little time to allow you to know how very happy we are with your bureau. Each January I really do a complete year to year comparison. I do not need to search through any documents at all -- it's evident from the figures precisely when we switched our collection over to Simon's. I personally especially love how every time that I have some interaction with somebody out of Simon's, it is professional and superbly pleasant! Thank you for everything that you do to us -- we genuinely enjoy it"
"I only wanted to say thank you for assisting us with this exceptionally challenging financial dilemma and have it turned into viable. Nobody likes to be in this sort of scenario, but when placed here with somebody like you around the other end listening and really helping find a remedy is terrific. I did receive the payment of $600 from the email, again thank you for the kindness and non‐judgmental attitude. "
Under supervision and governance put in place by the government to protect consumers, debt collecting agencies cooperate with creditors such as banks, telecom companies, loan lenders and healthcare facilities in collecting the debt. The type of agencies may differ on the type of debt they collect. Following are the top 3 debt collection agencies in new york.
Progressive Financial Services:
Progressive Financial Services is a private corporation founded on May 5th, 1995. The mission of the Founder was to create a company that provides better services to its client and the consumers. It is a national collection agency. The Progressive Financial Services has its offices in Arizona and Pennsylvania. The corporate motto of the agency is “Mediation, not Confrontation. The motto describes the method in which their employees are trained to communicate with consumers.
Progressive Financial Services is a verdict collection agency. It has over 15 years of experience in debt collecting business in a variety of market sections which include banks, Telecom agencies, loan lender and healthcare facilities. The collection method that Progressive Financial Services applies is the method which has been proven successful in other collection projects. Progressive is bonded and licensed in all states of U.S. They use a progressive tracing method to increase right party contacts.
Capital Collection, LLC:
The company was started in the year 1996. The company has its headquarters in Fresno, California. The company is an expert in commercial, agricultural collections, retail, tenant/ landlord, and medical collections. The company is an active member in California Association of Collectors, Inc. It also has membership in American Collectors Association. They train their employees in all types of conditions such as FDCPA, FCRA, and HITECH. They claim to provide high levels of security to both employee and debtor’s information. The methods of skip tracing and asset investigations are effective in Capital Collection. They control all aspects and situations of the disputes with their attorney, Steven R. Hrdlicka, and Accurate Attorney services.
Foster & Garbus LLP:
The company was established in 1970. Ronald Forster and Mark A.Garbus are the founders of Foster & Garbus LLP. The law firm focuses on the rights of creditors. They concentrate on surpassing compliance in legal collections in federal law or state law or the client’s guidelines. The approach they use is aligning the needs of our clients with the needs of the customers. They aim to treat all consumers with respect while endorsing the highest standards of a legal profession. They accept several forms of payments to provide better service to the consumers.
Under the law of collection of debts, whenever a consumer or a business client fails to pay the debt on time, late payment interest can be claimed from the client or consumer. This applies to all financial transactions with any kind of businesses and government authorities.
- You must have completed your legal and contractual requirements.
- The consumer is responsible for the delay.
The client cannot claim late payment interest:
- In transactions with consumers;
- If the statement is for compensation payment for damages.
In some countries, late payment interest is not applicable if the consumer is going through bankruptcy proceedings.
When is a payment restricted as late?
Fixed payment deadline:
The client can claim late payment interest from the first day after the deadline.
- If the consumer is a governmental authority, the payment will be made within 30 days.
- If the consumer is another company, the period of extension of payment date cannot exceed over 60 days.
Payment period not specified in the legal statement :
- The interest becomes essentially payable after 30 calendar days if the date is not specified.
- If the client does not know the date of when the invoice was received, the interest can be claimed after 30 days from delivering the product or the service.
- If the billing statement is sent to the client before the delivery of the product or service, the due date starts only after delivery.
- Interest for late payment:
- The legal late payment interest rate composes of the sum of the reference rate and an additional rate set by respective country. Governmental authorities or not allowed to fix lower interest rates.
Statutory interest rate (%/year) :
- The reference rate for the European countries not using the euro is set by the national central banks.
Compensation for recovery costs:
- In addition to the fixed interest due, you are entitled to a minimum fixed sum of EUR 40 as compensation for recovery costs. The client is entitled to receive a further reasonable compensation for recovery costs from the debtors exceeding the fixed sum and incurred due to the late payment.
Late payment E-Helpdesk:
- For information on the late payment, you can contact the E-Helpdesk: GROW-LATE-PAY-E-DESK@ec.europa.eu
- The authority also invites companies and individuals to share information on the application of the regulations their respective countries and to send any confirmation of issues experienced when applying the rights consulted by the directive or regulations.
Debt collectors and collecting agents are in charge of collecting risky debts and delayed payments. Debt collectors cooperate with the clients or business consumers in tracing missing debtors or governing legal debt collection procedures. They negotiate a settlement with the client over an agreed payment plan. Credit controllers function in the credit control department. They assist in chasing and tracing late payments from the company’s suppliers and customers. A high school diploma or an equivalent is required to qualify as a debt collector.
Debt collectors or collection agents usually work with third party agencies and are required to make field visits to debtor’s home to recover the debt. The debt will be recovered over legal procedures. During the process, a debt collector’s role is to serve as per court regulations and orders, and follow a legal scheme or framework.
Debt collectors generally work on shifts and also during weekends to contact the debtors who usually work during the day.
What does it take to become a debt collector?
To become a debt collector one should have,
- Good written and verbal communication skill
- A confident but polite approach
- Be able to work under strict deadlines and pressure
- Good governance and IT skills
- Effective negotiation skills and ability to explain financial terms and conditions clearly
- Be able to understand relatable legal and court procedures.
Though no specific requirement is required to enter this profession, these skills can be advantageous.
The process of getting a debt collecting license:
Anyone who decides to conduct the business or functions of collecting a debt or performing activities of a debt collector will require a license as specified under the Act. Executing a debt collecting process without a license is a serious offense.
To obtain a license one must be:
- A fit and able-bodied person
- A person of good character and reputation; and
- 21 years of age or more
Application for the license of debt collecting is available online. Your application for debt collecting license will be referred to the commissioner of police to make inquiries into whether you are an appropriate person to hold a license.
A license will not be issued without security or a bank guarantee in the recognized proforma or a bond in the form recommended by the Debt Collectors Licensing Regulations, 1964. The bank guarantee must be original and for the amount of:
$6,000 for a natural person license
$10,000 for a company license
If a bond is terminated during the license period, the license will be suspended until the bond is replaced.
The process of collecting debts effectively, whether commercial or consumer requires patience and intensity. The best debt collectors have developed their skills over years of experience, learning the strategies aim to push the debtors towards making payments. For new collectors who haven’t yet developed their skills on debt collecting process, there are some simple strategies to get started.
Guidelines of a debt collector:
The most crucial thing for a new collector is to remember while contacting debtors not to use abusive language or aggressive collection techniques. This is a common mistake a collector can make. Collectors should never threaten or blackmail a debtor during the collection process. While contacting the debtors, it is mandatory to demand precise action. The debt collector should set specific deadlines for payments and if the due goes beyond the deadline contact the debtor the next day.
The debt collectors should make reasonable demands to the debtors. The debt collector should find out the reason for the delay in payment and utilize the information to develop a solution to the problem satisfying both the debtor and the creditor. If a debtor cannot afford to pay the money, there is no point in forcing the debtor to pay the whole amount in one go. The debtor is likely to get more frustrated, and the creditor does not receive anything. The solution is to create a payment plan to initiate the flow of money to the creditor which does not force the debtor into financial trouble.
Effective strategies for debt recovery:
- Have a written policy on how to deal with a bad debt: Having a plan on how to deal with a bad debt is an important aspect of debt collecting. The written policy includes the following step by step instruction.
- Setting a time limit
- Contacting the client by phone
- Sending reminder notices
- Issuing a demand letter
- Handing the matter over to a debt collecting agency
- Make sure the customers understand the terms and conditions of the contract: Before approving a credit account make sure the client has read the terms and conditions, you will have a better chance of the customer honoring the terms and makes the payment on time.
- 3. Request for a deposit before the goods are received: For larger purchase and new clients that don’t have a proven trade history, it is safe to request for a deposit or advance payment of the goods.
- Implement progress payments for services: Some industries use progress payments as normal service.
- 5. Maintain accurate records: Maintaining perfect records of all the transactions help in preventing bad debts.
- Document all dealings with the customers: Documenting phone calls, visits, dealings with customers will be invaluable if the account has to be settled legally.
- Hand the debt over to a collection agency if the time limit is exceeded: It is mandatory not to let a bad debt stay for a long period of time. Handling the debt over to a collection agency is a wise thing to do. The collection agencies are experts in the recovery of overdue debts.
When a business authority decides to engage a debt collecting agency, the first step is to choose between a consumer debt collecting agency and a commercial debt collecting agency. Without the consideration of the differences between these two types of collecting agency, a business owner cannot find the agency capable of collecting their money back in an efficient manner.
Consumer debt collection:
Consumer debt collectors have expertise in collecting debts owed by an individual to a business authority. These debts cover the medical debt, mortgage debt, loan balances, credit card debt, etc. These debt collection agencies are directed by the act of FDCPA, a major part of legislature designed to protect the consumers who are indebted to business from biased and unfair practices of debt collection. Debt Collection methods restricted by this legislation includes aggravation, harassment, and threats. The FDCPA comprises of many other laws focused on the safety of the consumers from over-aggressive debt collecting agencies. It is important for the collection attorney to have a complete understanding of the laws of FDCPA in consumer debt collection.
Commercial debt collection:
The other type of debt collection is commercial debt collection, but concerning the order to receive the most effective and efficient service, it is advised to choose the type of debt collector who has expertise in collecting the type of debt your community deals with. Expert debt collecting agencies employ debt collectors who are well trained in their efforts of collecting debts. FDCPA does not administer commercial debt collection. In the commercial collection, the attorney should consider the current position of the debtor’s economy. If the company is shut down the debt is considered as a consumer debt. It is mandatory for the attorney to have a complete understanding of the rules and regulations of all prevailing laws that are related to these issues.
There are pros and cons in collecting each type of debt.
- Consumer debt works as per the law, while commercial debt collection requires special skills and efforts to uphold relationship with the client.
- Once the business has a clear understanding of the type of debt they are dealing with, it is easier to collect the debts by engaging the respective type of debt collecting agency.